Monday, January 26, 2015

Australian Open--what they said

What changed? Things shifted in the second set.
Well, is difficult to say, no? The level was very high, the most high level. So I think the difference was like two points or three points at the end. I really started playing really good. With the time, I was playing worst. At the end I was feeling more tired, and my shots weren't as good as the first set. I just think she also started to play better. Serve was very important for her. So that's it. Only really small difference.
Garbine Muguruza

We often when people come back after they've won the Australian Open we ask them how hard is it to defend it. It's probably just as hard for someone who is the runner up. Do you feel that pressure a bit?
I don't know if--I don't see myself like I have to be in the final. It's never easy. Even the big names, the big players, it's not easy to defend something like this. So I don't think like this. It's a new year. It's a new start. I'm starting the year pretty well again. So this is how I see it.
Dominika Cibulkova
 
Radwanska plays as if she has blocked out her entire day for the match. Venus plays like she is running late for a bus.
Craig O'Shannessy

Your skirt on your left thigh was folded under for most of the tournament. Was that on purpose or doing that for some reason? Kind of a random question, I know, but...
If I'm going to tell you I was trying to show a little bit of my skin, would that satisfy you? No, it's really just to make sure that the ball doesn't fall out. When it's too flowy sometimes I get my racquet caught in my skirt. So just to be more comfortable.
Victoria Azarenka

Maria Sharapova has not beaten Serena in ten years. If you could give Maria any advice from your experience, what would you tell her?
It's difficult to say. I think Serena has the game to beat also Maria. Obviously has to be mental. When you are losing to her ten years, there is something in your head blocking during the match. I think maybe improve more the way she plays to beat her. I think the way she plays is not the way to beat Serena. That's what I saw in the ten years. What can I say?
Garbine Muguruza

2 comments:

svente said...

Muguruza is wise beyond her years. And she's also spot on about her match vs. Serena - it was small, small changes. It was a wonderful match, I like her game and look forward to her climbing the rankings and competing for years to come.

Aga vs. Venus was great, too. Love the quote from O'Shannessy! I really enjoy Radwanska's calm on the court. Nothing ruffles, she's so even-tempered. And even though Venus is the reason I started watching professional tennis and she'll always have a special place in my heart AND despite that I'm so glad she's back in the 1/4's, I'm sorry it had to be through Aga, who is one of my all time favorites.

Diane said...

I didn't get to watch it but will try to catch some of it later today. I like all the top players, but yes--for pure watching--Aga is just amazing.