Saturday, June 7, 2014

French Open--what they said

This is the toughest grand slam final I've ever played.
Maria Sharapova

Reputation is such a formidable weapon.
Mary Carillo
 
I think it was a good, very good match today, a good final. I didn't expect three sets, three hours, but it happened, and I'm really happy that I could stay very long time on court. The atmosphere was incredible. Of course, forever I will not forget this match.
Simona Halep

There were a lot of different keys and there were a lot of ups and downs in the match. Just when I thought I was very close to winning it, I had lost four points in a row. Then the match becomes equal.  Then you find yourself in a position where you feel like you're starting over, which is quite difficult.
Maria Sharapova

It's the best day of my life; even after the match, I'm still nervous.
Darya Kasatkina

It is impossible to think there will not be other days for Halep. She will be the new world number 3 come Monday, and she has proven time and again this fortnight that she is surely the real deal. But Sharapova, the woman who once so loathed the red dirt, now loves the surface so much that she has made it the most successful of her career. And clay loves her right back.
Kate Battersby

I feel like giving a time violation to Kadir Nouni.
Mary Carillo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The screeching must stop. The time delays must not exceed twenty seconds, and a player jumping around at the baseline to distract the server should lose not a point, but the game. The same goes for bathroom and injury breaks - the ref should be strict. Sharapova has reached the status coveted by pragmatists everywhere: The I Got Away With It status. So much mental game-playing that should not happen in tennis is allowed. And I thought that tennis was the last bastion of decency in sports. Cheating has become the norm. Don't kid yourself by saying that it is just 'stretching or testing the limits of the rules'. If you do, you're dishonest. Yep. Dishonest, pragmatic, and worse. And, it does not bode well for OUR sustainability as humans.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Anonymous said...

Middle school laughter does not an argument make.