Monday, May 23, 2011

French Open--what they said

Are you having as much fun out there as you seem to be. You seem so relaxed.
Relaxed? No.
Francesca Schiavone

As long as you're on the court and able to play, you can always play better.
Vera Zvonareva

I, for sure, know I could have played much better, but I just did what I needed to do today....
Daniel Hantuchova

Does it feel different this year, coming in as the defending champion...?
Yeah, it's different, because everybody want to beat me.
Francesca Schiavone

The beginning was appalling. Even in my worst nightmares, I wouldn't have thought of such a bad start.
Marion Bartoli

She knew I was retiring, and that threat was gone, so she came back.
Corina Morariu, wryly commenting on Kimiko Date-Krumm's absence
the whole time Morariu was on the tour

It looks a little scary sometimes.
Bethanie Mattek-Sands, on her eye smudge

You know when you go home and your mom do everything for you, and you feel comfortable, yeah, I felt like this.
Francesca Schiavone, on returning to Court Phillipe Chaterier

"...at the beginning, she wouldn't miss many points, she was not making unforced errors, she was hitting the lines, she was successful with some important shots, and I was doing anything silly I could.
Marion Bartoli

2 comments:

Overhead Spin said...

Did you hear that Patty's match today against Cirstea was her last match? She has retired from tennis. Also happening today, Cibulkova kicked me out of Suicide Pool. First time I was ever kicked out in the first week on the women's side. Hurts. Sloane Stephens going out to Baltacha. Did not like that one bit. Clijsters' outfit is ugly.

Best news ever. Vaidisova's marriage to Stepanek has gone kaput. Word is that she is coming back to tennis. Please tennis gods, let it be so.

Diane said...

I did hear about Patty; I knew it was coming any moment.

Cibulkova's upset was--wow.

I want to like Kim's outfit, and I almost do, but I wish--with those colors--there was no pattern. Too busy.

I remember one of Vaidisova's friends saying that, despite her obvious talent, Vaidisova just "couldn't compete." Makes me think of Sasha Cohen. I wasn't a fan, but her return would probably be kind of interesting.