Monday, March 2, 2009

Serena wins Billie Jean King Cup

Serena Williams emerged the champion in the evening's exhibition tournament in Madison Square Garden. I did not watch the entire thing--it was too much to expect me to watch Billie Jean King be honored for activism she is now claiming was not her intention, or to listen to her campaign for no-ad scoring. (Isn't it enough for King, et al, that doubles competition has been destroyed?) Add to that the presence of John McEnroe, and the event just didn't hold much appeal for me.

I did see most of the opening set, however, between Venus Williams and Jelena Jankovic. For a while, Jankovic actually looked like herself, but she played a disaster of a game at 4-all, and that was pretty much that. Too bad. But at least we got to see something of the real JJ.

I saw a little of the set between Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic. From what I saw, Ivanovic failed to take advantage of some opportunities, and Williams made her pay.

The main event was the final between the Williams sisters. The first set had one game that went on for a very long time, and it finally went to Serena, who took the first set, 6-4. In the second set--or at least what I saw of it--Venus could not serve, and was making errors right and left. I think Venus must be a bit tired--at least mentally--after winning back-to-back titles in Dubai and Acapulco. Serena, however, looked great, and took the final, 6-4, 6-3.

It was also Tennis Night in America, with 750 tennis centers staying open to register children for lessons and league play.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just on the point of no ad scoring, I can't understand anyone who would actually campaign for the game to change to that.
It has already had, in my opinion, a very negative influence on doubles, and can certainly bring luck into the winner of a match much moreso than before
If it is introduced in singles, I will find it difficult to enjoy watching tennis again.

Diane said...

I feel the same way, David. The ad point is tennis. What would tennis be without it?

BJK says that if we do away with the ad point, matches won't last as long, and players will be able to extend their careers by a few years. That is some twisted logic if ever I heard it, but nothing that comes out of her mouth surprises me anymore. I used to admire her so, but lately, I just want her to be quiet.

Anonymous said...

That is probably the worst argument for a change I have ever heard. The ad games add so much drama and importance to a match. How many matches have we seen where a game goes to deuce 10 times, and whoever wins that game goes on a bit of a roll afterwards?

The ad point, certainly, is tennis. It would be lost without it.