Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Scattering seeds

Lucie Safarova (seed number 22), who sustained a gluteal muscle strain in Sydney and had to retire in the second round, is out of the Australian Open. She was defeated by Catalina Castano, 6-1, 6-4, and my best guess (I did not see the match) was that the injury was at least somewhat involved involved in this loss.

Sixteenth seed Dinara Safina was also eliminated during the first round, by Sabine Lisicki of Germany, 7-6, 4-6, 6-2. Lisicki is ranked number 194 in the world.

And finally, the ever-baffling Marion Bartoli, seeded number 10, lost to Sofia Arvidsson, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3. Arvidsson, who has struggled a lot in the past couple of years, has been doing rather well in 2008.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have tv coverage till week 2...what happend to Marion?!?!!?

:O didn't see that one coming!

Diane said...

I didn't see it; ESPN didn't show it. All I saw was a shot of Marion in tears during one of the changeovers. Who knows? Arvidsson has been winning lately, surprising though that may be, and you know Marion--all kinds of things happen to her. I was really disappointed. I heard that Arvidsson played extremely well.

Anonymous said...

ok, thanks.

the seeds seems to be having a pretty tough time this year!

Dani